I have a love/hate relationship with test prep. I dislike it for all the obvious stressful reasons: the stress on the students and teachers, the time it takes away from instruction, and how monotonous it can get. But, this year my teammate and I have been very intentional about planning engaging test prep activities that the students (and teachers) love! Here is my new favorite: Test Prep Dress Up!
Here are the only materials you need to for this engaging test prep activity:
- Various dress up items (I stocked up at the dollar store. I also find things on clearance. Another good time to stock up is after Halloween. Hint: The more girlish the dress up item is the better. Your students will love it!)
- Any review questions from any subject matter. My favorite is to use a powerpoint presentation that displays the problems or task cards projected via an Elmo.
Here is a shot of some of my items in my dress up bin. I am slowly collecting more items when I find them on clearance.
Here is how to play:
- Divide your kids into teams.
- Display or read the review questions. Everyone answers the question, but it is only one team’s “turn” or chance to get points or get in the dress up box.
- After a few minutes have passed (you set the time), check the team’s answer whose turn it is. If they are right, they get the points and get to choose an item from the dress up box (without looking). They then have about 30 seconds to a minute to choose someone in the class to wear the item for the rest of the game.
- I do allow the kids to take a penalty (lose points) instead of wearing the item. But the kids love it so much that this is rarely an issue.
Here is a picture of my son modeling my new items. The students love mixing up random dress up items for a ridiculous costume.
They love this game so much! This definitely makes test prep fun. I would love to know how you make test prep fun in your classroom. Let me know in the comments!
Join 12,000+ Other Teachers!
Want even more free resources? Enter your information to join my email list and get exclusive access to my freebie library!
You will also receive regular emails with tips, resources, freebies, and updates on paid products.