Do you ever want something a bit different from the normal math fact or number sense practice? These fun math puzzles are just what you need! On this post, I will be giving you all the details about how you can get ten (yes, TEN!) sets of math puzzles to use with your students all year!
About the Math Puzzles
To solve the problems, the students use their knowledge of multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction. Each set varies but you will find a little of each operation (and a lot of multiplication) in each set.
As you can see from the bottom left example in the picture above, the students would determine that the glue image is equal to 7 because 7 + 7 + 7 = 21. Then they would use division to determine that scissors is 8 because 88 divided by 8 is equal to 11. Finally, they would use the value of the glue and the value of the scissors to solve the final equation (7 x 8 + 8 = 64).
Benefits of Using the Math Puzzles
- The puzzles help build number sense as students use their knowledge of the operations to determine the value of the images and solve the problems.
- They help students practice multiplication and division math facts.
- They are engaging and the students love them.
- They are a great way to get students to prove and defend their answers in a nonthreatening way.
Using the Math Puzzles in the Classroom
- Project one a puzzle a day as a math warm up or even a number talk.
- Use the math puzzles in a math center. This would be the perfect alternative to flashcards for math facts mastery.
- Use as “Fun” homework. These are only available in color but could easily be printed in black and white and sent home with the students.
- Use as a “Soft Start Morning Work” option. If you use soft starts, you can have these puzzles be an option or choice for the students.
Which Math Puzzles Are Included?
Each set includes 16 puzzles, a recording sheet, and answer key. These are the sets included in the download:
- Back to School
- Valentine’s Day
- St. Patrick’s Day
How Can I Get the Math Puzzles for FREE?
Simply pop in your email address in the form below and the file will be sent right to your email! If you are already on my email list, you can sign up again and will not receive duplicate emails from me. 🙂
FREE Math Puzzles!
Join my email list to get the TEN sets of seasonal math puzzles for FREE! If you are already on my email list, you can sign up again for this freebie without getting duplicate emails. 🙂
What More Seasonal/Holiday Ideas?
Click on the links below to see round up posts of my favorite resources, activities, and freebies.
Want More Math Center Freebies?
What do you think about these math puzzles? Do you think this is something your student will enjoy? Let me know in the comments!
Join 48,000+ Other Teachers!
Want even more free resources? Enter your information to join my email list and get exclusive access to my freebie library!
You will also receive regular emails with tips, resources, freebies, and updates on paid products.